Unexpected shutdown

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
wrxsti54

Unexpected shutdown

Beitrag von wrxsti54 »

So I created an Ahnenblatt file for a Family Tree (descendants style) that I have been working on. I saved a file right at the beginning and just kept the program open as I worked on adding more lines. I did not shut down the program so I assume it must have crashed. Anyway when I opened the program back up and found the saved file it only had the first few names I loaded. There was not "do you want to save" prompt that ever came up and I didn't try in any way to close the program but now I can't find all the work entered.

is there some kind of backup temp file that gets created somewhere like happens with Microsoft Office programs that you can rescue recently entered data? This whole thing is a mystery because I did not initiate a shutdown of the program. I came back to my laptop to find the icon missing down the bottom so I can only assume the program crashed whilst I was away from my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff
Iemhoff
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Re: Unexpected shutdown

Beitrag von Iemhoff »

Hello
pls give more info from the SW Version , PC System (hard- and software)

Rg
MfG. Iemhoff

----------------“doing by trying; trying by doing”-----------------
-------Mann bleibt nicht so jung wie man möchte-------
DirkB
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 121 Mal

Beitrag von DirkB »

Hi Jeff,
wrxsti54 hat geschrieben: 17.07.2023, 01:32 So I created an Ahnenblatt file for a Family Tree (descendants style) that I have been working on. I saved a file right at the beginning and just kept the program open as I worked on adding more lines. I did not shut down the program so I assume it must have crashed. Anyway when I opened the program back up and found the saved file it only had the first few names I loaded. There was not "do you want to save" prompt that ever came up and I didn't try in any way to close the program but now I can't find all the work entered.
If I understand correct, you left alone the computer with Ahnenblatt opened and when you came back it was closed, right?
I know one rare situation, when Ahnenblatt crashes without any information, while adding a picture (some specials in file format).
Without any action within Ahnenblatt, it should not abort.

Could it be possible, that Windows crashed and restarted afterwards? After that Ahnenblatt would also be closed.
wrxsti54 hat geschrieben: 17.07.2023, 01:32 is there some kind of backup temp file that gets created somewhere like happens with Microsoft Office programs that you can rescue recently entered data?
Yes. But Ahnenblatt would give you a message after next start, that there is a temporary back up.
You find this option in main menu under "Extras / Options..." then "Folders". It is called "Save backup file every ... x minutes".

You can try "File / Open... / Backup file" and sort in the file dialog the files in date order or "File / Search..." to find all files (incl. backup) on your computer - both just to be sure that there is no backup file.

- Dirk
Entwickler von Ahnenblatt
wrxsti54

Beitrag von wrxsti54 »

Hi Dirk

Things get curiouser and curiouser. Windows (10) didn't crash when I was away because when that happens, I come to a clean home screen with no opened files. I just left the laptop for a few hours and woke it up from sleeping and it seemed all as before except Ahnenblatt was closed.

I checked the autosave function in the program and it was already set for autosave every 15 minutes so it should've been saving the file.

I checked the Backup file section you suggested and nothing was there. I wonder if i have a file buried somewhere in Window temp files.

Thanks for all your helo thus far.

Jeff
wrxsti54

Beitrag von wrxsti54 »

Iemhoff hat geschrieben: 17.07.2023, 06:49 Hello
pls give more info from the SW Version , PC System (hard- and software)

Rg
V 3.58
Windows 10 PC laptop
Running Microsoft Office

Thx
DirkB
Administrator

Beitrag von DirkB »

Hi Jeff,

have you tried "File / Search..." ...?
Perhaps the sleep mode causes this situation ... I will try to check this out.

- Dirk
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 34 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

I imagine the files you are searching for could be in another place than expected. So searching for them by name or extension might be an idea as DirkB already stated.

I have no such experience with Ahnenblatt that it would allow to close without warning or crash without working on it. So very mysterious all together.

Microsoft Office has nothing to do with Ahnenblatt. And usually, I'm running between 5 and 15 programs at the same time with Ahnenblatt without an issue (at least for a week or so - after that, Windows may get funny/erratic).

Do you have Ahnenblatt directly installed to your computer or is it running from an USB stick?
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
Iemhoff
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Beitrag von Iemhoff »

Hello

I am working from USB-Stick.

I had sometime a Error window behind (small) the working window when i used the enter-key with fill the formular.(mask)
I do not shaw this little Error window, but cut not Close the window. Only trough using ALT-TAB (switching windows) i shaw this.
The problem was on a PC with W10 before the last update from 14.07.2023
After updating i can not repons i.

Sorry for written errors.

Bye
MfG. Iemhoff

----------------“doing by trying; trying by doing”-----------------
-------Mann bleibt nicht so jung wie man möchte-------
VoToSch
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von VoToSch »

Hi,
I had a similar problem with the input window, but in the past using 2.99.
With an open person and trying to add a partner or child ( does not matter ) then switching to another program to recheck the correct name and switching back to AB the name-input dialog was behind the person-dialog.

I could only resolve this by dragging the person-dialog to the side to have access to the name-input.

Rg
Volker
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Windows 10 22H2 / Wine 8.0.1, Ahnenblatt 2.99p und 3.56Demo
DirkB
Administrator

Beitrag von DirkB »

Hi Volker,
VoToSch hat geschrieben: 20.07.2023, 10:35 I had a similar problem with the input window, but in the past using 2.99.
To be honest: I could see no similarity in problems.
Which 2.99 version is it? The last one is 2.99p.
If you don't have it - try it.

Because there is no further development of the 4 years old 2.99p version - you should switch to version 3 if this problem "hurts too much" ... :wink:

- Dirk
Antworten