v2.94 BUG! - Places: pasting from clipboard

Gesperrt
Mathemagician

v2.94 BUG! - Places: pasting from clipboard

Beitrag von Mathemagician »

Greetings,

I could not find anything on the forums, re: pasting geographic coordinates from the clipboard to the "Other" tab of Places Management (new to v2.93), however, experimentation has yielded the following:

A. Clipboard: ±123.456,±65.4321
Pastes as Latitude,Longitude - sign controls N/S or E/W

B. Clipboard (e.g.):
1) 12°34',65°43' - works ok
2) 12°34'S,65°43'W - works ok, optional N/S or E/W works as expected
3) 12°34'56",65°43'21" - only degrees, minutes get pasted (seconds never used)
4) 12°34'56"S,65°43'21"W - N/S, E/W ok, but again, seconds never used

Am I correct in my usage of this function? If so, shouldn't seconds be pasted also? I see now that it is more likely that geographic websites will produce decimal Lat/Long (i.e. Lat,Long) for copy/paste, but other documents (such as a PDF, Word or text file) will likely only show degrees/minutes/seconds (more commonly used).

Tip to users: [spoil] :idea: The option Tools/Options/Lists/Output all person's data (even if not visible) hides/shows (among other things?) Latitude and Longitude from display and printing. Lat/Long occupy a lot of space![/spoil]
Zuletzt geändert von Mathemagician am 22.02.2016, 16:27, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Allen T.
British Columbia, Canada

"Little did I know how little I knew..."
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

When pasting coordinates from the linked "MyGeoPosition" (for which it seems to be designed), seconds are inserted correctly. May be more of a coincidence that it already works for other formats too?!
Marcus
Mathemagician

Beitrag von Mathemagician »

Thanks Marcus for the comments! I hadn't really looked at MyGeoPosition (wasn't in v2.93) when I was testing (did the testing on v2.93 first, then v2.94 later), but looking at it now, I see that the website copies X,Y. This works, as noted in my first message. But Dirk has also allowed for pasting in DMS format, example:
45°12'N,121°50'W

The previous example works (° and ' are necessary), if you copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into Ahnenblatt. You can specify N or S, and E or W - they work too. But when you add seconds - e.g. 45°12'50"N, 121°50'40"W - only the degrees and minutes are pasted. I believe this is an oversight, since DM works ok! I don't think this is a coincidence. Not allowing for seconds (let's say 59.9") could produce an error in positioning of just under a nautical mile, or 1,852 metres. Not an issue if you are talking about a city, but to locate a church (e.g. location of baptism) or burial site, that kind of accuracy wouldn't help, particularly when the data is displayed (as Y,X) to such accuracy, as in the personal data box in the Navigator.

The Y,X format is definitely easier to work with, but Latitude and Longitude (DMS) might be more common, I think, especially in older records.
Allen T.
British Columbia, Canada

"Little did I know how little I knew..."
Jürgen T.

Beitrag von Jürgen T. »

Hello Mathemagician,

i do agree with you: seconds should be pasted too.

Thanks for your examples!
They showed me, that Ahnenblatt can do much more than just copy from MyGeoPosition. The function is more intelligent as i thought. It identifies + and - as N/S or E/W. Very good.
Gruß
Jürgen
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

Yeah should be a bug, since the button was already there before MGP-Button.
Marcus

----------------------------
#Wunschliste_1169_Erledigt_V2.95
Zuletzt geändert von Marcus am 15.06.2016, 02:11, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
DirkB
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 110 Mal

Beitrag von DirkB »

So far Ahnenblatt uses only two primes to mark the seconds within coordinates.
So this one is working:

45°12'50''N, 121°50'40''W

That's the way mygeoposition.com does it, so I didn't recognized, that there could be other ways to do it.

As I found out, there are some more ways to mark the seconds. So in next release Ahnenblatt will also detect seconds in these terms:

45°12'50"N, 121°50'40"W
45°12'50“N, 121°50'40“W
45°12'50”N, 121°50'40”W

It's not easy to see the difference, but the 'seconds sign' is different in each line.

Some infos about that I found here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E2%80%B3

Thank you, Mathemagician, for the helpful hint.

- Dirk
Gesperrt