Newbie here

Gesperrt
jbacinti

Newbie here

Beitrag von jbacinti »

Being new to this program and not at all familiar with others, I'm a little confused. I have all my data (names, dates, locations, etc.) and it looks like I need to enter it from youngest (my grandson) to eldest (my great, great, great, great grandfather). If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Thanks,

jbacinti

:x
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

Hi jbacinti,

you can start just with whom you want! Start with one person enter what you know in the respective fields and then hit a button for a relative (as "Mother", "With" in the carrier "Marriages" for a Husband or Wife or "1.", "2." etc. for the children of a person). You will get to a new dialog where you now can fill the fields for the new person.
So you're associating your people right away, while you're hitting the respective buttons to build a relationship between your relatives.
Marcus
jbacinti

Beitrag von jbacinti »

Thanks Marcus; that makes sense. I'll give it a try later on.
jbacinti

Beitrag von jbacinti »

Thanks again Marcus. I've been rolling along with the program and really like it. Now I have another question.

Is there a way to spin off another tree from an existing tree? For example, I started with my family and have entered lots of data for my wife's family. Is there a way to cut off that "limb" and make it a new tree? Or just copy off that "limb" for another tree and then she or her brother can keep it up.

I hope I've made this clear.

jbacinti (John)
Marcus
Administrator
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Marcus »

To split your file into two files, you should first make a copy of your data and then use the "Delete group ..." function in the "Edit" menu. There you can select the relatives of a person in a lot of different ways and select if the choosen ones should be deleted from your file or if they should "survive" (and all others will be deleted).
When using the "Relative of" option, most of the time you'll have to cut ties between relatives to get group deleted (and not more) than you want.

On the other hand you have to decide if the splitting into two files is what you really want to do. If another one is taking care of your wife's side, means that you won't be always up to date and when generating a tree for both of you there might be some people missing. Depending on how much work there is to be done and how interested other are to keep up work or just watch the results, it might be easier to maintain the whole data and give out some exports (like trees and lists) from time to time and maybe split their part of the familiy once in a while.
Despite you are able to merge two files back together, I wouldn't recommend to do that to often. If there are to much people who get updates on both sides, this will take a lot of time comparing people and deciding which information are never or correct.
Marcus
Gesperrt