Sources and Media Attachment confusion

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
bdohmen

Sources and Media Attachment confusion

Beitrag von bdohmen »

In Ahnenblatt I have a list of Sources and many of these sources have media attachments (scans of documents and such). Now when I edit a record of a person in my family tree, I can add these sources, but here the media (and citation/notes) of the source are not shown (I can still see them when I click the edit source button).

I was looking into how I should be using this functionality and noticed:
- A person has a sources and media tab, but the sources tab here is just a text field instead of a way to point to sources in 'manage sources';
- A person's record has a sources (pointing to sources in 'manage sources') and media tab
- Each source has a media tab in 'manage sources', but also a media tab when added as a source in a person's record but both media tabs seem unrelated.

So my confusion is where do I put images related to these sources? In the manage sources media tab or in the source's media tab when added to a person's record?
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 32 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hi there, I see Ahnenblatt as a genealogical software with a special emphasis on data editing. The data output is not as elaborated as the data grabbing.

Which led some users to engage a second software for data presentation. Be it dynamic web sites, tables or lists.

Ahnenblatt 3.x allows for almost any constellation of data collection that is allowed by the GEDCOM 5.5.1 standard. Which doesn't mean that all combinations would be exported printed/issued as expected. You need indeed to choose how to register your data.

Two different styles are known for that task: logical representation of your data according to reality or distribution of your data suitable for a nice output. Usually, there is a smaller or bigger gap between "logical" and "nice". In some points, I went for a convenient output, in others, I wanted logical order.

So I have pictures of sources in the sources sub menu, even if there is no chance of exporting those pictures in a Ahnenblatt table. And sometimes I put them in the common media menu to get them printed.

As Ahnenblatt will always only generate a link to the media file, not store it directly inside the familiy record, it doesn't matter if you connect that image with a lot of different persons - in won't expand your file a lot.

In short: You can do a lot of things with notes and media links, but not all are very clever. Decide yourself according to your priorities.
Zuletzt geändert von Fridolin am 24.06.2022, 14:56, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
bdohmen

Beitrag von bdohmen »

Thank you for the clear answer! I will do some testing with WebTrees (webtrees.net) which I want to use for online output and I'll decide what works based on that.
Antworten