ERROR when opening Ahnenblatt

Questions about usage of Ahnenblatt
Antworten
moofy

ERROR when opening Ahnenblatt

Beitrag von moofy »

Dear all,

hope you are all well...
I am using Ahnenblatt for a few months now and am absolutely happy with it. Unfortunately, something went wrong with my main file. Access to it is being denied. So I cannot access my familytree at all. :cry:
The message that appears when I try to open the file reads: Zugriffverletzung bei Adresse 054E376 in Modul Ahnblatt.exe. Lesen von Adresse 0000001B.

Is there anything I can do to restore it or is my work lost? I made a copy about two months ago, but quite a lot of work has been done since then...

I have got a few other files (when I was helping other genealogist with their research and all are working fine except for mine!). :(

If anyone has some idea, I will be very grateful for any help or suggestion.

Thanks a lot in advance. Take care.
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 32 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Hi moofy,

please take a moment to figure out what you still have!

If you have a standard installation of Ahnenblatt, there should be not only a MyFamilyFileName.ahn file with the family data, but also several MyFamilyFileName.bak.001, ...bak.002 etc. which are backup files from the last XY saving actions. Copy them to a safe space as they are all replaced one after another during each attempt to save your file.

The content of those .bak.00x files is what your family file contained the last time you saved and so on (somes steps back into your file history). You can open them exactly like an *.ahn file.

So if really you'd find no way to re-open your basic family file, you'll at least be able to get the last state.

Does that help?
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
moofy

Beitrag von moofy »

Hi Fridolin,

great, I really appreciate your amazing advice, I had no idea back up files are created automatically. I managed to open the latest bak file and it seems to contain all the latest entries I added.

Perfect, thank you so much! I am so grateful!
Have a great evening!

Moofy
Fridolin
Danksagung erhalten: 32 Mal

Beitrag von Fridolin »

Glad to have been able to help!
Aktuell Win11-64 pro 23H2, Ahnenblatt 3.60 - Daten via NAS, Programm lokal

Empfehlung: Alle relevanten Handbücher lesen :book:
(es gibt das Benutzerhandbuch und mehrere Themen-Specials!)
Antworten